Terms of Service
Published: 9th July 2020
Effective Date: 9th July 2020
Copyright 2020, Cubbit S.r.l.
Thank you for using Cubbit, we're glad you have chosen to join the Cubbit Swarm!
We encourage you to read this document carefully. If you sign up for a Cubbit account or use our Services, you agree to be bound to these Terms.
Cubbit is designed to store, synchronize, share files and collaborate using state-of-the-art end-to-end encryption, also having less environmental impact on our planet than traditional centralized cloud storage service providers.
Cubbit is the first distributed and collaborative cloud service provider that works without big data centers: rather than operating from the outdated paradigm which relies solely on centralized proprietary servers, our mission is to build a global network of small servers in everybody's home or office, going beyond the limits of the traditional cloud.
We do not put your files in one single basket. Our software intelligently distributes data, with a new, efficient and secure algorithm. Every file is encrypted, split into several chunks and distributed over a peer-to-peer network that we have called the Swarm (see our Technology page to know more).
The nodes in this network are the Cubbit Cells, the devices we designed to enable the connection to the Swarm through your home internet router.
How Cubbit works
After installing the Software on your personal device, you will be asked to create a Cubbit account using your name, email, a complex password and a recovery secret code or sentence.
THE CUBBIT CELL SHOULD STAY CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET VIA YOUR ROUTER IN ORDER TO WORK. IF YOUR CUBBIT CELL STAYS DISCONNECTED FOR A PERIOD OF MORE THAN 30 DAYS, ALL THE FILES YOU HAVE STORED UP UNTIL THAT TIME WILL BE REMOVED. IF YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF 2 OR MORE CUBBIT CELLS, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED BY OFFLINE CELL NOTIFICATIONS.
Confidentiality and Security
Your Rights Over Your Content
Your content: You are the owner of the content of the files stored within the Cubbit space and the only one who maintains access to and control over them, which also means that you retain all intellectual property rights over them. Before uploading or sharing any new content, make sure you have all the rights you need to do so and that the content is legal and does not affect the rights of other users or third parties.
Limited Permission: Users grant Cubbit limited rights over their data and service (meta)-data, which are necessary to provide the Services in accordance with these Terms.
Sharing and Collaborating
Sharing with link: Users who want to share files or folders may generate two different types of links, as follows:
- Public link: allows access to anyone and allows also the direct exchange of files between Cubbit users.
- Private link: allows access to the file to anyone who has the link and is in possession of the self-generated decryption key. The software generates a custom encryption key for every single file that users want to share externally, so you can be sure that only the recipient of the file - who has the decryption key - actually has access to it. Users can generate a link with an integrated encryption key or a separate key.
Sharing folders: When sharing a folder, remember that everything in it will be shared as well. The people with whom you will share the folder will receive an app notification and/or an email with the invitation to accept the collaboration and the role and privileges assigned to them.
- Owner: is the one who creates the folder. The owner can transfer the ownership, but can not be deleted and lose the rights to the folder and is the only one who can delete the folder for everyone.
- Admin: is the one who has the most extensive privileges, can appoint other administrators as well and can delete the folder for all other participants (except the Owner).
- Editor: can modify the content of the folder (delete and upload files, etc...), can invite users and delete them (except admin and owner).
- Viewer: can only access the folder.
Cubbit Cell Storage Capacity
Your Storage Space: So far, Cubbit Cells have storage capacities available to users of either 512GB or 1TB depending on the device version purchased.
Additional Storage Space: However, the Cubbit Cell contains an additional storage space, not available to you (equal to that available to you, i.e. 512GB or 1TB) which has the dual function of allowing data redundancy and supporting the stability and sustainability of the Cubbit distributed cloud network.
How Our Services Will Remain Forever Free to You
Our vision is to provide our community of users, who also own one or more functioning and connected Cubbit Cells, with a unique, reliable, stable, up-to-date and free service forever.
FOR SUCH PURPOSES, BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS, YOU UNDERSTAND, ACKNOWLEDGE AND EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT CUBBIT MAY USE THE ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE LOCATED WITHIN YOUR CUBBIT CELL, AND NOT USED BY YOU, INCLUDING YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION BANDWIDTH, TO SUPPORT THE CUBBIT DISTRIBUTED CLOUD NETWORK AND TO OFFER ADDITIONAL PAID SERVICES TO THIRD PARTIES.
Can’t find your answer?Contact our Support